The November 2016 Edition of “The Chirp”, the official Sparrow’s Nest newsletter, features an inspirational note from founder Krista Jones.
Thanksgiving is often the time we reflect on what we have to be thankful for. I am thankful for the same things most of you are; my family, friends and good health. I am also especially thankful to have this community stand behind the charity.
I was expecting people close to me to be supportive, but I am blown away every day by the strangers who approach wanting to make a difference. Everyone has a story to share, a fundraising idea, a dollar to give, time to volunteer and I know how truly lucky I am. Because of your generosity, the charity has fed over 1000 people since its inception in 2012. Five hundred of those people were fed in 2016, and as the word spreads of our mission, so do the number of families we feed.
I am thankful for my strategic planning committee, spearheaded with the help of my friend Gus Tsoubris, a Sparrow’s recipient himself. As we investigate how we can further expand our mission to help the community even more, I often use his sound advice to decipher what a family really needs. I am full of ideas and as many know, it is very hard for me to keep such exciting news quiet. I ask you to be patient as we get ready to celebrate the new year, new programs, and new beginnings. Sparrow’s Nest is more than just providing a warm meal to a family diagnosed with cancer, and in the coming months you will see a growth in our mission and the number of people who benefit from our services.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving season.
Here are some other highlights:
- We’re fully rested from Sparrow’s Nest’s 4th official Disney Wine & Dine Marathon, and we are proud to announce that the runners on Team Sparrow raised over $330,000!
- ‘Tis the season! Learn how you and your co-workers can help Sparrow’s Nest.
- Heavens me! Sparrow’s Nest is teaming up with another special charity this season to spread some holiday cheer.
- There’s a rockin’ new race on the Team Sparrow calendar for 2017!
- And the Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce honored Krista with a leadership award.